Information once inscribed on paper or stored on a digital medium can be used for an ethical purpose or exploited. The purpose of information primarily depends on the intention of the bearer. In today’s world, the context changes rapidly. What seems disposable for you today, maybe a critical piece of information for a hacker. Understanding how to deal with the data that is now unnecessary to keep, along with maintaining best practices for secure data destruction is vital.
With the growing number of data breaches reported everyday, compliance with technical standards for secure data destruction is imperative. Some businesses maintain their shredding needs in-house, failing to watch a security risk. These shredders may not be that effective or secure, and there is also a potential risk of human error. Partnering with a professional paper shredding company may cost you a bit, but it is fruitful in the long run and is the most secure data destruction method.
Aspects of a Document Shredding Policy for Information Security
Every business needs to define a document destruction policy as it offers several benefits.
- Protects information: With the help of a paper shredding company, an organization can effectively dispose of all types of data related to their business. It may include personal or client and employee information, invoices, important files, reports, presentations, contracts, bank statements, marketing strategies, and other sensitive information.
- It is a Legal Requirement: There are laws at federal and state levels that require businesses to protect the client’s information. This law establishes rules on how organizations can collect, use, or disclose information about individuals. To remain compliant, there are guidelines for collecting and retaining information and also when and how to dispose of it.
- Protects a Business Reputation: Data breaches that may arise due to negligence from a business can damage its reputation. People don’t like to do business with an organization that is unable to protect their data.
- Ensures Cleaner Environment: Proper shredding not only keeps your confidential information secure but ensures that the shredded material is not used in landfills and is recycled properly. Being sustainable is one thing, but simultaneously keeping our environment green must be the core priority. A good agency providing mobile shredding services ensures that all shredded materials are recycled and processed into paper products and other related products to help keep our environment safe.
Recommendations for Organizations
To maintain the confidentiality of paper documents and other media that are not useful at the moment there are some recommendations:
- A business must define a policy on the secure destruction of information on digital or paper and must indicate the roles and responsibilities of the concerned person
- They must use an appropriate destruction method according to the media type, and ensure data destruction utilizing the services of an authorized paper shredding company like USA Shredding
- Maintain a record to prove the traceability of the complete and secure destruction, including software destruction results and destruction certificates
- To help destroy paper documents, deploy a shredding company that is recognized and reliable
- Conduct frequent audits to verify that the guidelines for document destruction are properly followed
The Role of a Professional Paper Shredding Company
Professionals who provide data shredding services know their job and are experts in data destruction. Remember, that simply deleting data from your hard drive or throwing papers in the garbage can lead to data theft.
Professional data destruction companies like USA Shredding Services help you connect with a company that holds the expertise and experience to destroy data from any type of medium, including paper documents. Moreover, these service providers implement an information policy to help avoid a data privacy breach and help you to remain compliant with state laws.
A correct data destruction program is vital as it eliminates data breaches. Many businesses lack proper data destruction, making their information vulnerable to theft. First they must identify what data is needed to be destroyed, types of devices it is stored, and then devise a proper data destruction plan.
Data destruction through USA Shredding Services is conducted under consistent standards, fulfilling contractual obligations, ensuring proper recycling of destructed data.